This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2017)
|Type||For-Profit art school|
|10–15 per school year|
The Kubert School, formerly the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art and Joe Kubert School, is a private, for-profit technical school focused on cartooning and located in Dover, New Jersey. It teaches the principles of sequential art and the particular craft of the comics industry as well as commercial illustration. It is the only accredited school devoted entirely to cartooning.
The school's instructors are full-time professionals working in the industry, many of them graduates of the school themselves, and the instruction is hands-on and practical. The school has a reputation for demanding and intensive coursework. Its alumni include Ed Piskor, Amanda Conner, Lee Weeks, Andy Price and Alex Maleev, as well as many other comics pencilers and inkers.
The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art was founded in September 1976 by cartoonist Joe Kubert and his wife Muriel in Dover's former high school, whose tall windows offered optimal lighting. Its first graduating class of 1978 included Stephen R. Bissette, Thomas Yeates, and Rick Veitch.
Campus and student body
The two official student houses are the Carriage House and Mansion, at the former site of the school on Lehigh Street, in Dover. The school houses the Kubert Art Store, which sells art supplies needed for assignments, such as books and drafting tables.
There are usually no more than 150 students attending the school at any time. As well as regular weekday classes, the school also holds a weekly class every Saturday, which are available for people who are not enrolled in the main program. The class is on basic lessons in cartooning, and is taught by Fernando Ruiz and Fabio Redivo.
There's no other way to learn this stuff, except through other people in the business. ... 80 to 90 percent of the students get jobs in related fields, but they really have to work. The average student is drawing 8 to 10 hours a day, 6 to 7 days a week. ... You get a complete and total dedication from these students. ... This is their lifeline out. A chance to make a livelihood at something they love to do.
- "THE KUBERT SCHOOL -- Alumni". THE KUBERT SCHOOL. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- Jennings, Dana (December 14, 2003). "Paper, Pencil And a Dream". The New York Times.
- Dahlen, Chris (July 23, 2009). "Steve Bissette". The A.V. Club. Archived from the original on December 22, 2013. Retrieved April 10, 2010.
- "Talent From The Kubert School: Thomas Yeates". The Kubert School. n.d. Archived from the original on December 28, 2014.
- "Adam Kubert, Illustrator, Comic Book Illustrator and VP". The Kubert School. n.d. Archived from the original on January 11, 2014. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Andy Kubert, Illustrator, Cartoonist and VP". The Kubert School. n.d. Archived from the original on January 11, 2014. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Kubert School.|