Třebechovice pod Orebem
|• Mayor||Roman Drašnar|
|• Total||21.01 km2 (8.11 sq mi)|
|Elevation||243 m (797 ft)|
|• Density||270/km2 (710/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Třebechovice pod Orebem (Czech pronunciation: [ˈtr̝̊ɛbɛxovɪtsɛ ˈpot orɛbɛm]) is a town in the Hradec Králové Region of the Czech Republic. It has around 5,800 inhabitants. It is 13 kilometres (8 miles) away from the city of Hradec Králové. The town is situated beneath the hill Oreb. Třebechovice is best known for its Nativity Museum.
The town was founded in the 14th century, near a trade route. According to legend, the town was founded on the right bank of the river Dědina by Třeboch who brought his people there and gave the name to the town. In the 14th century the town was owned by Hynek Hlaváč of Dubé and his descendants until the end of the 15th century when Přibík Kroměším of Březovice became an owner. The town was owned by Trčkové of Lípa in the 16th century and it economically developed. In 1849, Třebechovice became an independent town.
The museum was founded in 1925 by Vilém Koleš. There are more than 400 exhibits of nativities. The museum is the only one of its kind in the Czech Republic. The most valuable exhibit is Probošt's Nativity which was made by Josef Probošt and it is all created from wood. The Nativity has motion mechanism and it is 7 m (23 ft) long, 3 m (9.8 ft) deep and 2 m (6.6 ft) high and has more than two thousand carved pieces and 373 figures.
Coat of arms
The emblem is created by golden shield with one vertical brown branch and roots. This comes from emblem of the Dubé family who established the town. There are three blue cannonballs on both sides of the emblem. There is a golden crown on the top of the emblem which means sovereign grace, above it there are three ostrich feathers in red, white and blue.
Oreb is a hill above the town and it is 260 metres (853 feet) high. The hill got its name after the large gathering of members of the Hussites in 1419. In 1528 a small wooden church at the owner's command was built here. This church burned and was replaced by new one in 1835. The new church is called Church of Corpus Christi.
Twin towns – sister cities
- Bethlehem, Palestine
Team of authors (2004): Třebechovice pod Orebem. Třebechovice pod Orebem: Město Třebechovice pod Orebem.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Třebechovice pod Orebem.|