2021 - revision 1016 / 26 June 2020
|Operating system||Windows 7 or later, macOS 10.11 or later, Linux, Android 4.0 or later|
Previously: Pocket PCs, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Qtopia
2018 - revision 982 / 18 January 2021
|Operating system||Windows 7 or later, macOS 10.10 or later, Linux, Android 4.0 or later|
SoftMaker Office is an office suite developed since 1987 by the German company SoftMaker Software GmbH based in Nuremberg. SoftMaker is available as a one-time purchase option, in Standard and Professional editions, as well as a subscription-based version known as SoftMaker Office NX (available as Home and Universal editions).
A freeware version is released as well, under the name of SoftMaker FreeOffice. FreeOffice supersedes SoftMaker Office 2006 and 2008, which were released as freeware after originally being available for purchase.
SoftMaker Office includes:
- TextMaker, a word processor
- PlanMaker, a spreadsheet application
- SoftMaker Presentations, a presentation graphics application
- BasicMaker, a VBA-like programming tool (Windows only)
- DataMaker, a database management program for Windows 95 to Windows XP (discontinued as of DataMaker 99)
- FlexiPDF, a PDF viewing and editing app-like programming tool (Adobe Acrobat Reader DC)
The Professional edition (and Universal edition of Office NX) additionally includes:
- A Duden spell checker,
- Two Duden dictionaries,
- Four Langenscheidt dictionaries.
- support for Windows Group Policy
SoftMaker Office has similar functionality to other office suites such as Microsoft Office or LibreOffice, and can also run from USB flash drives and supports integrated reference works. Multi-language spell-checking, hyphenation and thesaurus is supported, and it has an integrated five-language translation dictionary (English, German, French, Italian, and Spanish).
It has its own native formats, and can read and write file formats of Microsoft Office, OpenDocument format (word processor only), RTF and HTML. Support for the OpenDocument spreadsheet (ODS) format was added in the Anniversary update released for SoftMaker Office 2018. It can export to PDF and EPUB.
The user interface is similar to the Ribbon utilized in Microsoft Office 2007 and later, and there is an option to use menus and toolbars instead of the Ribbon. A dark mode is available. Documents can be opened as tabs in a single window, to allow easy switching between multiple documents.
A version of SoftMaker Office, called SoftMaker Office HD, is available for Android tablets, and includes TextMaker, PlanMaker, and SoftMaker. SoftMaker Office HD only has menus and toolbars, rather than allowing the option of menus and toolbars or Ribbon.
A free version, called SoftMaker Office HD Basic, is also available.
- Andy Updegrove (5 July 2006). "The Emerging ODF Environment, Part IV: Spotlight on SoftMaker Office 2006". Retrieved 28 March 2010.
- "Infos zu PlanMaker 97". 3 June 1997. Archived from the original on 3 June 1997. Retrieved 28 March 2010.
- SoftMaker. "Service packs: List of changes in SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows, Mac, and Linux". SoftMaker. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- Lindner, Mirko (15 November 2012). "SoftMaker Office 2012" (in German). Pro-Linux.de. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- SoftMaker. "List of changes in FreeOffice 2018 for Windows, Mac, and Linux". FreeOffice.com. Retrieved 13 May 2021.
- "SoftMaker Office 2008 now available for free". 22 May 2011. Archived from the original on 26 May 2011. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- "SoftMaker Office 2006 for Windows". 2009. Archived from the original on 14 March 2009. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- "Register SoftMaker Office 2006 for Windows". Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- "DataMaker". www.softmaker.com. Retrieved 16 March 2021.
- Brors, Dieter (2018). "Das Linux-Office-Duell". c't (in German) (14). Heise Magazine. p. 110. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "SoftMaker Office 2018 – Anniversary Update". www.softmaker.com. SoftMaker. 10 April 2019. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- SoftMaker. "SoftMaker Office HD Basic for Android". www.freeoffice.com. Retrieved 5 May 2019.