|Broadcast area||Sydney, Canberra and Regional New South Wales|
|Frequency||1017 kHz AM (1978–) (Sydney)|
|Branding||Sky Sports Radio|
|Format||Racing and sport|
|Owner||Sky Racing |
(2KY Broadcasters Pty Ltd)
First air date
|31 October 1925|
|1070 kHz AM (1925–1935)|
1020 kHz AM (1935–1978)
Sky Sports Radio (formerly 2KY) is a commercial radio station based in Sydney, broadcasting throughout New South Wales and Canberra on a network of over 140 narrowcast transmitters as well as the main 1017 AM frequency in Sydney. It broadcasts live commentary of thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing. Over 1,500 races are covered each week, including the pre and post race form and TAB betting information.
Sky Sports Radio was founded by Emil Voigt as 2KY under the ownership of the Labor Council of New South Wales with the aim of broadcasting 'musical entertainment, news, weather, market reports, public debates and matters of educational value'. Night broadcasts of trotting began in 1949 with greyhound racing following soon after. In the 1960s the station took over thoroughbred racing commentary from 2GB. By the mid-1970s Saturday afternoon racing broadcasts had started.
In 1992 the station started establishing a statewide network of narrowcast relay transmitters. 2KY was one of the pioneering stations of Digital Audio Broadcasting in Australia. In 2001 2KY was acquired by Sky Racing and in 2009, rebranded as Sky Sports Radio. Its studios moved from Parramatta to Frenchs Forest in 2015.
National Racing Service
The National Racing Service features every TAB meeting throughout Australia, as well as coverage of race meetings in New Zealand and Hong Kong and to a lesser extent the United Kingdom and United States. Although racing is the main-stay on 2KY other sports are featured. The Big Sports Breakfast features a range of national and international sports each weekday morning.
Big Sports Breakfast
Notable former presenters have included
- Broadcasting from Trades Hall, Opening by Mr Willis, Mr Garden's Plans Sydney Morning Herald 2 November 1925 page 9
- "Emil Voigt the man behind 2KY". Radio Heritage Foundation. 2006. Retrieved 1 July 2008.
- Sky Sports Radio company profile Sky Sports Radio
- 2KY and Sport 927 to merge Radio Info 8 December 2005
- Sky Sports Racing 2KY installs new Wheatstone studios Radio Info 20 February 2015
- 2KY closes newsroom Radio Info 15 July 2005
- Macquarie Radio takes over 2KY news Radio Info 20 March 2006
- Sky Sports Radio Programs Sky Sports Radio
- Michael Clarke to replace Terry Kennedy on Sky Breakfast Radio Today 6 February 2020
- Slater joins 2KY breakfast show Thoroughbred News 27 March 2008
- Terry Kennedy departs Big Sports Breakfast after 18 years Mumbrella 18 October 2019