Mitra addressing a press conference in November 2016
|38th Defence Secretary of India|
|Assumed office |
25 May 2017
|Preceded by||G. Mohan Kumar|
|Chairman of the Defence Research and Development Organisation|
29 May 2018 – 25 August 2018
|Preceded by||S Christopher|
|Succeeded by||G. Satheesh Reddy|
|Road Transport and Highways Secretary of India|
1 January 2016 – 10 May 2017
|Preceded by||Vijay Chibber|
|Succeeded by||Rajive Kumar (acting)|
|Chief Secretary of West Bengal|
30 September 2012 – 27 December 2015
|Preceded by||Samar Ghosh|
|Succeeded by||Basudev Banerjee|
6 May 1959
|Alma mater||John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University|
Sanjay Mitra (born 6 May 1959) is a 1982 batch Indian Administrative Service officer of West Bengal cadre. He is the current Defence Secretary of India. Before assuming the office of Union Defence Secretary, he was the Union Road Transport and Highways Secretary, and the Chief Secretary of West Bengal. Mitra also served—on an acting basis—as the chairperson of the Defence Research and Development Organisation for a period of three months.
Mitra holds Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in physics, a postgraduate degree in economics, and a Master of Public Administration in public administration from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
Mitra has served in various positions for both the Government of India and the Government of West Bengal, such as the Chief Secretary of West Bengal, Principal Secretary (Health and Family Welfare), chairman and managing director of the Grid Corporation of Odisha, chairperson and managing director of the Orissa Thermal Power Corporation (on deputation to Odisha cadre), resident commissioner of West Bengal and as the district magistrate and collector of the North 24 Parganas district in the West Bengal government, and as the Union Road Transport Secretary, joint secretary in the Prime Minister's Office and as a deputy secretary in the Ministry of Rural Development in the Indian government.
Chief Secretary of West Bengal
Mitra was appointed as the Chief Secretary of West Bengal by the Chief Minister of West Bengal in September 2012. He assumed the office of the chief secretary of the state on 30 September 2012 and demitted it on 27 December 2015, after being the state's top bureaucrat for three years.
Road Transport and Highway Secretary
Mitra was appointed as the Union Road Transport and Highways Secretary by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) in December 2015, he assumed the office on 1 January 2016 and demitted it on 10 May 2017.
Mitra was appointed as the Union Defence Secretary by the ACC in May 2017, succeeding G. Mohan Kumar. Mitra served as an officer on special duty, in the rank of secretary, till Kumar's retirement, he formally took charge on 25 May 2017.
- https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/index.jsp?pg=secretary-drdo.jsp. Missing or empty
- "G. Satheesh Reddy appointed as new DRDO chairman". 25 August 2018.
- "Sanjay Mitra - Executive Sheet". Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "Sanjay Mitra Takes Over as the New Defence Secretary". Press Information Bureau of India. May 25, 2017. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "Sanjay Mitra Bengal's new Chief Secretary". Business Standard. Kolkata. October 1, 2012. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "Sanjay Mitra is new Bengal Chief Secretary". The Hindu. Kolkata. October 1, 2012. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "Sanjay Mitra takes over as Bengal`s new Chief Secretary". Zee News. Kolkata. September 30, 2012. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- Sharma, Aman (December 29, 2015). "West Bengal Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra is new Roads Secretary". The Economic Times. New Delhi. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "Sanjay Mitra is new secretary of road transport, highways". Hindustan Times. December 29, 2015. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- Ahuja, Rajesh (May 10, 2017). "West Bengal cadre IAS officer Sanjay Mitra to be next defence secretary". Hindustan Times. New Delhi. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "Sanjay Mitra appointed as new Defense Secretary". New Delhi. May 10, 2017. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "Central government departments get new secretaries, Sanjay Mitra gets Defence". The Economic Times. May 11, 2017. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- Media related to Sanjay Mitra at Wikimedia Commons
- Executive record sheet as maintained by the Department of Personnel and Training in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions