|Developer(s)||PlayStation Mobile Inc.|
|Initial release||November 15, 2013|
|Operating system||iOS, Android|
|Available in||English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Romanian|
The application allows users to:
- See which friends are online and what they're playing.
- Receive notifications, game alerts, and invitations.
- Customize PSN profile.
- View progress and compare trophies.
- Keep up with the latest activities from friends and following players.
- Get games and add-ons at PlayStation Store, and send remote requests to PS4 to download in background.
Sony has also developed other apps to complement the main app, such as PlayStation Messages for exchanging messages with PSN users, PlayStation Communities to view PS4 communities and PS4 Second Screen, to use the device as a second screen companion on select PS4 games as well as an on-screen keyboard for quick and easy typing.
The first version of the app was released on November 15, 2013, the day of the PS4's North American launch. Version 1.70 was released on April 30, 2014 adding notifications, friend request links and custom profile pictures. Version 2.00 was released on October 27, 2014 adding tablet support. Version 2.50 released on March 26, 2015 added accessibility options. Version 3.00 released on September 30, 2015 added Events and guest log in. Version 3.10 added the ability to follow verified players and the messaging portion was spun off into its own app. Version 3.50 added the ability to create events. 4.00 allowed users to change their PSN avatar right from the app. A new app, PlayStation Communities was released on November 29, 2016.
The PlayStation App was completely redesigned on November 7, 2017 with improved load times. The second screen functionality was spun off into its own app and the ability to view live broadcasts and remove trophy lists with a completion rate of 0% were removed.
The PlayStation App was completely redesigned again on October 28, 2020 with options for launching games remotely, managing storage, and signing into your system. You can purchase and download games straight to your PS5 and PS4.
While using your phone, you can create party groups and voice chat with other 15 people. PS Messages is also integrated into the PlayStation App.
Instead of the old web view, Sony has added a completely native PlayStation Store, so shopping and remotely downloading games to your PS5 and PS4 should be much easier. A updated general interface gives you a faster look at what friends are playing, as well as your own games that have recently been played.
- "PS4 system update 1.70 launches today – full feature list". PlayStation.Blog.Europe. 2014-04-30. Retrieved 2017-11-24.
- "Major PS4 System Software Update v2.00 Available Tomorrow". PlayStation.Blog. Retrieved 2017-11-24.
- "PS4 System Update 2.50 Available Tomorrow, Features Detailed". PlayStation.Blog. Retrieved 2017-11-24.
- "PlayStation Communities App Out Today on iOS and Android". PlayStation.Blog. Retrieved 2017-11-24.
- "PlayStation App Gets a Whole New Look". PlayStation.Blog. Retrieved 2017-11-24.
- "Introducing the new PlayStation App, redesigned to enhance your gaming experiences on PS4 and PS5". PlayStation.Blog. 2020-10-28. Retrieved 2021-03-26.
- "PlayStation App Update Adds Major New Features". Game Rant. 2020-10-28. Retrieved 2021-03-26.
- Lyles, Taylor (2020-10-28). "Sony's new PlayStation App is seriously clean and lets you do way more remotely". The Verge. Retrieved 2021-03-26.