|Member of the California State Senate|
from the 2nd district
|Assumed office |
December 1, 2014
|Preceded by||Noreen Evans|
|Sonoma County Board of Supervisors|
|Mayor of Healdsburg, California|
|Healdsburg City Council|
|Healdsburg School Board|
|Born||July 21, 1979|
Healdsburg, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Sonoma State University|
Mike McGuire (born July 21, 1979) is an American politician currently serving in the California State Senate. He is a Democrat representing the 2nd Senate District, which encompasses the North Coast region, from Marin County to Del Norte County.
Mike McGuire comes from a family of farmers, specializing in grape and prune farming for over 50 years.
In 1998, he became the youngest person ever elected to the Healdsburg School Board at age 19. He attended Sonoma State University in Rohnert Park, California, receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science in 2002.
McGuire was elected to the Healdsburg City Council in 2004, where he spent six years, including time as the city's youngest mayor. In 2010, he became a Sonoma County supervisor. In 2014, McGuire easily defeated Republican candidate Lawrence Weisner for the District 2 State Senate seat, winning 70% of the vote.
In April 2015, he introduced bill SB 643, with the purpose of legalizing and regulating the medical marijuana industry. The regulation would cover cultivation to consumption. McGuire criticized the state's lack of rules and regulations for medical marijuana, and was opposed to the Adult Use of Marijuana Act (Proposition 64). In September 2017, he was part of the state's legislative session that urged Congress to censure the president Donald Trump.
In September 2018, the bill he introduced to establish a statewide protocol for emergency alerts for all 58 California counties was signed into a law. In December 2018, he was selected to serve as assistant majority leader of the California Senate. In early January 2019, Mike McGuire "applauded" Gavin Newsom's 2019 budget plan for California. That same month, when president Donald Trump threatened to withhold government emergency fundings for the wildfires because of poor forest management by the state of California, Mike McGuire replied in a tweet that most California forests affected are managed by the federal government and not the state.
- Vice chairman of the Democratic caucus
- Chairman of the state Senate's governance and finance committee
- The Press Democrat May 16, 2014 PD Editorial: Mike McGuire is best choice in Senate election (BETH SCHLANKER/ The Press Democrat)
- The Point Reyes Light 20 March 2014 Mike McGuire, his election assured, remains little known in Marin By Herb Kutchins
- "McGuire Distinguished Alum". SSU News. 2016-12-21. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- California State Senate Majority Caucus California Senator Mike McGuire Senate District 2 Biography
- "Supervisor Mike McGuire Hosts Annual Windsor Town Hall Meeting on August 19th". sonomacounty.ca.gov. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "California State Senate elections, 2014 - Ballotpedia". Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "Bill Status". leginfo.legislature.ca.gov. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- Ukiah Daily Journal 30-04-15 California Sen. Mike McGuire proposes regulating medical marijuana industry
- The Guardian Sunday 3 May 2015 California looks to bring law and order to decades-old medical marijuana market - Anita Chabria in Sacramento
- Guy Kovner (31 October 2016). "Citing marijuana 'mess,' Sen. Mike McGuire opposes California's faulty Proposition 64". Sonomanews.com. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- David Siders (17 September 2017). "California tears into Trump". Politico.com. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- Guy Kovner (21 September 2018). "Gov. Brown signs into law California emergency alerts and wildfire liability bills". Pressdemocrat.com. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- Julie Johnson (22 December 2018). "Healdsburg Democrat Mike McGuire appointed to a top California Senate leadership post". Pressdemocrat.com. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- Marissa Papanek (24 December 2018). "Sen. Mike McGuire named assistant majority leader of CA State Senate". Krcrtv.com. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- Thadeus Greenson (10 January 2019). "Wood, McGuire Applaud Gov.'s Budget Plan". Northcoastjournal.com. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "Trump, California lawmakers spar over wildfire funding". Time-standard.com. 9 January 2019. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "Governor Gavin Newsom Signs SB 27: Tax Transparency Bill". Press release of the office of the Governor of California. July 30, 2019.
|This article about a member of the California State Senate is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|