This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following is largely a link to lists of notable people who left Christianity, sorted by the religious or non-religious ideology they switched to:
By former Christian denomination
- List of former Catholics
- List of former or dissident LDS (Mormons)
- List of former Protestants
By newly adopted religion or irreligion
- List of converts to the Bahá'í Faith from Christianity
- List of converts to Buddhism from Christianity
- List of converts to Hinduism from Christianity
- List of converts to Islam from Christianity
- List of converts to Judaism from Christianity
- List of converts to Sikhism from Christianity
- List of converts to nontheism from Christianity
This section is due to the existence of former Christians who do not fit existing lists of former Christians, either because their current faith is indeterminate or is not dealt with by the above lists.
- Brigitte Boisselier – mostly known for her association with Clonaid, converted to Raëlism
- Bart Campolo – former pastor and son of pastor Tony Campolo; as he is described as "secular humanist" he may fit the nontheist list, but has not precisely stated his view of theism
- Tom Cruise – American actor and well-known Scientologist
- Jenna Elfman – American actress who converted to Scientology
- Katy Perry – musician with five platinum records, daughter of Pentecostal pastors
- Charles M. Schulz – taught Sunday School at one time, but later identified as Secular humanist, although his widow indicates he maintained a belief in God.
- John Travolta – actor raised Catholic who converted to Scientology
- Neville Wadia – Anglo-Indian businessman of an old Parsi family, but raised Christian before converting to his ancestors' Zoroastrianism; this caused some controversy as orthodox Parsee clergy do not believe in converting to Zoroastrianism
- http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/08/1041989999291.html SMH: According to published reports, she was raised as Catholic on a farm in the Champagne region east of Paris.
- Office of Religious Life at USC Archived 2014-10-03 at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-05-13. Retrieved 2006-05-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) "RD: You were Catholic originally. Cruise: Well, we went from Episcopalian, to atheist, to Catholic..."
- http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/tomcruisebiogx21x05x02xpu "In 1990 Cruise renounced his devout Catholic beliefs and embraced The Church Of Scientology claiming that Scientology teachings had cured him of the dyslexia that had plagued him all of his life."
- LA Times
- Templeton, David. My Lunch with Sparky, reproduced from the December 30, 1999 – January 5, 2000 issue of the Sonoma County Independent. Archived November 28, 2008.
- "The Big Question: John Travolta". "THE BIG QUESTION" BBC1. January 28, 2004. Archived from the original on October 6, 2007. Retrieved July 17, 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Obituary - The Independent 6 August 1996. Retrieved 10 January 2010