Periodic comets usually have elongated elliptical orbits, and usually return to the vicinity of the Sun after a number of decades.
The official names of non-periodic comets begin with a "C"; the names of periodic comets begin with "P" or a number followed by "P". Comets that have been lost or disappeared have names with a "D". Comets whose orbit has not been determined are designated with a "X" prefix.
- List of comets by type
- List of comets visited by spacecraft
- List of comets with no meaningful orbit
- List of Great Comets
- List of Halley-type comets
- List of hyperbolic comets
- List of long-period comets
- List of near-parabolic comets
- List of numbered comets
- List of periodic comets
- Bright Comet Chronicles
- 1994 Resolution about comet names
- Comets currently above mag. 12 - Heavens-Above