The West Coast is a region in the South Island of New Zealand. It contains numerous rural primary schools and several small town primary and secondary schools. Area schools in isolated areas provide complete education from primary to secondary level. All schools in the region are coeducational.
State schools are those fully funded by the government and at which no fees can be charged, although a donation is commonly requested. A state integrated school is a state school with a special character based on a religious or philosophical belief. The state integrated schools on the West Coast are all Catholic schools. A private school charges fees to its students. The only private school in this region is Gloriavale Christian Community School near Haupiri, which is operated by a religious group.
The decile rating indicates the socio-economic group that the school catchment area falls into. A rating of 1 indicates a poor area; a rating of 10 a well-off one. The decile ratings used here come from the Ministry of Education Te Kete Ipurangi website and from the decile change spreadsheet listed in the references. The deciles were last revised using information from the 2006 Census. The roll of each school changes frequently as students start school for the first time, move between schools, and graduate. The rolls given here are those provided by the Ministry of Education, based on figures from June 2011 roll returns. The Ministry of Education institution number, given in the last column, links to the Education Counts page for each school.
|Buller High School||9–13||Westport||State||3||333||||301|
|Inangahua Junction School||1–6||Inangahua Junction||State||6||9||—||3198|
|Karamea Area School||1–13||Karamea||State||5||77||—||300|
|Reefton Area School||1–13||Reefton||State||3||163||||496|
|Sacred Heart School||1–8||Reefton||State integrated||4||28||—||3219|
|St Canice's School||1–8||Westport||State integrated||4||132||—||3220|
|Westport North School||1–8||Westport||State||4||222||||3235|
|Westport South School||1–8||Westport||State||4||241||—||3236|
|Awahono School - Grey Valley||1–8||Ahaura||State||4||77||—||2105|
|Gloriavale Christian Community School||1–13||Haupiri||Private||n/a||unknown||—||1587|
|Greymouth High School||9–13||Greymouth Central||State||4||569||||303|
|Greymouth Main School||1–8||Greymouth Central||State||5||287||—||3361|
|John Paul II High School||9–13||Greymouth Central||State integrated||4||178||||304|
|Lake Brunner School||1–8||Moana||State||7||56||||2123|
|Paparoa Range School||1–8||Dobson||State||3||78||—||2106|
|St Patrick's School||1–8||Greymouth Central||State integrated||5||169||—||3538|
|Fox Glacier School||1–8||Fox Glacier||State||8||11||—||3342|
|Franz Josef Glacier School||1–8||Franz Josef||State||9||43||—||3343|
|South Westland Area School||1–15||Harihari||State||4||111||||306|
|St Mary's School||1–8||Hokitika||State integrated||5||128||—||3536|
|Westland High School||7–15||Hokitika||State||6||363||||305|
- Waimangaroa School, state full primary school at Waimangaroa, closed January 2013 due to declining roll numbers.
- Jacobs River School, state full primary school at Jacobs River, closed January 2013 due to declining roll numbers.
- "Te Kete Ipurangi". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "ERO school and early childhood education reports". Education Review Office. Archived from the original on 15 August 2007. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "Decile change 2007 to 2008 for state & state integrated schools" (XLS). New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "About School: School basics". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Archived from the original on 26 May 2008. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "School Donations & Fees". New Zealand Ministry of Education. 23 June 1998. Archived from the original on 14 July 2006. Retrieved 23 June 2006.
- "about NZ education". EduSearch. Archived from the original on 6 December 2007. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "How The Decile Is Calculated". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "Reviews of Deciles - General Information". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "New Zealand Schools - Education Counts". Retrieved 11 September 2011.
- "Waimangaroa school to close". 30 November 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Class dismissed for last time at tiny school". The Press. 20 December 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.