The Wellington Region is a region covering the southern tip of the North Island of New Zealand. The region includes the capital city, Wellington and the cities of Porirua, Lower Hutt and Upper Hutt which together make up the Wellington metro area, as well as the surrounding rural area, the Kapiti Coast to the north, and the Wairarapa region to the northeast. It contains a few small rural primary schools, some small town primary and secondary schools, and a large number of city schools.
State schools are those fully funded by the government and at which no fees for tuition of domestic students (i.e. New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, and Australian citizens) can be charged, although a donation is commonly requested. A state-integrated school is a former private school with a special character based on a religious or philosophical belief that has been integrated into the state system. State integrated schools charge "attendance dues" to cover the building and maintenance of school buildings, which are not owned by the government, but otherwise they, like state schools, cannot charge fees for tuition of domestic students but may request a donation. Private schools charge fees to its students for tuition, as do state and state integrated schools for tuition of international students.
The roll of each school changes frequently as students start school for the first time, move between schools, and graduate. The rolls given here are those provided by the Ministry of Education, and are based on figures from March 2021. The Ministry of Education institution number links to the Education Counts page for each school.
Kapiti Coast District
|Chanel College||7–13||Coed||Kuripuni||Integrated||217||||244||Catholic, founded 1978|
|Douglas Park School||1–6||Coed||Masterton West||State||330||||1661|
|Hadlow Preparatory School||1–8||Coed||Solway||Integrated||186||||4104||Anglican|
|Makoura College||9–13||Coed||Masterton East||State||304||||243||Founded 1968|
|Masterton Primary School||1–6||Coed||Kuripuni||State||251||||1660|
|Rathkeale College||9–13||Boys||Opaki||Integrated||340||||245||Anglican, Boarding|
|Solway College||7–13||Girls||Solway||Integrated||177||||242||Presbyterian, Boarding, Founded in 1916|
|St Matthew's Collegiate||7–13||Girls||Masterton West||Integrated||308||||246||Anglican, Boarding, Founded 1914|
|St Patrick's School||1–6||Coed||Masterton Central||Integrated||217||||3016||Catholic|
|TKKM o Wairarapa||1–15||Coed||Masterton East||State||86||–||1651||Kura Kaupapa Māori|
|Wairarapa College||9–13||Coed||Masterton West||State||1137||||241||Boarding, Founded 1938|
|Wairarapa Teen Parent Unit||9–13||–||Masterton East||State||0||–||2750||Teen parent unit|
|Ponatahi Christian School||1–13||Coed||Carterton||Integrated||131||||528||Reformed Congregation, Founded 1978|
|South End School||1–8||Coed||Carterton||State||187||||2992|
|St Mary's School||1–8||Coed||Carterton||Integrated||126||||3013||Catholic|
South Wairarapa District
|Kuranui College||9–13||Coed||Greytown||State||670||||249||Founded in 1960|
|South Featherston School||1–8||Coed||Featherston||State||47||||2993|
|St Teresa's School||1–8||Coed||Featherston||Integrated||105||||3023||Catholic|
Upper Hutt City
Lower Hutt City
- Wellington City
- Athena Montessori College, Wellington. Closed in February 2009.
- Kaiwharawhara Primary School, 1925-1977.
- Kingston School, Wellington
- Miramar South School and Strathmore Community School, merged on the Strathmore site in January 2013 to form Kahurangi School.
- Moriah College, state-integrated school.
- Lower Hutt City
- Children of Hope New Zealand, Wainuiomata. Closed at the end of 2007.
- Glendale School, Wainuiomata, merged with Pencarrow School an Glendale site to form Pukeatua School.
- Hutt Valley Christian School, Wainuiomata. Closed December 2012.
- Kamahi School, merged with Stokes Valley School to form Koraunui School in January 2005.
- Manor Park School, Manor Park, Lower Hutt
- Otonga School, closed April 1999.
- Parkway College, Wainuiomata. Merged with Wainuiomata College to form Wainuiomata High School in January 2002.
- Parkway Intermediate School, Wainuiomata. Merged with Wainuiomata on Parkway site to form the new Wainuiomata Intermediate School in January 2002.
- Parkway School, Wainuiomata, merged with Sun valley School on Parkway site to form Konini School in January 2002.
- Pencarrow School, Wainuiomata, merged with Glendale School on Glendale site to form Pukeatua School in January 2002.
- Petone College, Ava. Closed January 1999.
- Petone West School, closed 1979. As of March 2013[update], a Countdown supermarket is under construction on its former site.
- St Matthew's School, Wainuiomata, merged with St Patrick's School on St Patrick's site to form St Claudine Thevenet School in January 2003.
St Patrick's School, Wainuiomata, merged with St Matthew's School on St Patrick's site to form St Claudine Thevenet School in January 2003.
- Stokes Valley School, merged with Kamahi School on Kamahi site to form Koraunui School in January 2005.
- Sun Valley School, Wainuiomata, merged with Parkway School on Parkway site to form Konini School in January 2002.
- Wainuiomata College, Wainuiomata. Merged with Parkway College at Parkway site to form Wainuiomata High School in January 2002.
- Wainuiomata Intermediate School (old), merged with Parkway Intermediate School on Parkway site to form the new Wainuiomata Intermediate School in January 2002.
- Waiwhetu School, closed December 2001.
- Wood Hatton School, merged with Wainuiomata Primary School on Wainuiomata Primary site in January 2002.
- Upper Hutt City
- Brentwood School, Upper Hutt, merged with Trentham School on Trentham site in January 2005.
- Brown Owl School, Brown Owl, Upper Hutt, closed April 2003 - which was previously known as Te Marua School until name changed in 1973.
- Upper Valley Middle School, a private year 7-10 composite school - closed voluntarily in February 2015.
- Kapiti Coast District
- Kapiti Christian School, private full primary school, closed December 2009
- Otaki Health Camp School
- Reikorangi College, private composite school, closed December 2009
- Thomas Kennedy Junior Academy, Paraparaumu. Closed August 2007.
- Presentation College, Paraparaumu - Catholic, closed 1973
- Masterton District
- Bideford School, closed September 2003.
- Castlepoint School, closed December 1999.
- Homeleigh Christian School, Masterton, closed 2007.
- Masterton East School, closed April 2002; site now used by TKKM o Wairarapa.
- Okautete School, closed April 2001.
- Te Wharau School, closed May 1999.
- In 2003, an extensive review of Masterton district primary schools meant many schools closed and combined to form new schools ready for the beginning of the 2004 school year.
- Mikimiki School closed and merged with Opaki School.
- Masterton Central School and Harley Street School combined on the Masterton Central site to form Masterton Primary School.
- Masterton West School and Cornwall Street School combined on the Masterton West site to form Douglas Park School.
- Totara Drive School, Lansdowne School and Hiona Intermediate School combined on the Hiona Intermediate site to form Lakeview School.
- "About School: School basics". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Archived from the original on 26 May 2008. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "School Donations & Fees". New Zealand Ministry of Education. 23 June 1998. Archived from the original on 14 July 2006. Retrieved 23 June 2006.
- "about NZ education". EduSearch. Archived from the original on 6 December 2007. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "New Zealand Schools Directory". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- Teen Parent Unit rolls are returned with their host school. These are Wellington East Girls' College for He Huarahi Tamariki, Heretaunga College for Titiro Whakamua, and Makoura College for the Wairarapa Teen Parent Unit.
- Palmer, Rebecca (2 March 2009). "Second Montessori college closes". The Dominion-Post. Retrieved 3 May 2009.
- "Former Kaiwharawhara School". Wellington Heritage. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Education Counts. "School Closures, Mergers and New: December_2008" (XLS). www.educationcounts.govt.nz. Wellington: Ministry of Education.
- Rich, Katherine (7 March 2007). "List of schools closed since 1/1/1999" (PDF). Press Release: Dozens of closed schools trashed. Wellington: New Zealand National Party. See PQ1717 (PDF).
Figures released through written parliamentary questions
- Te Marua Brown Owl School Centennial 1879 - 1979 Archived 2011-07-24 at the Wayback Machine, Retrieved from Upper Hutt City Library digital archive on 14 January 2011.
- "2015 School Mergers, Closures and New Schools". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 26 August 2015.[permanent dead link]
- MacAskill, Les (1974). "The History of Presentation College, Paraparaumu, 1960-1973, and the Reasons for Its Closure: Implications for Future Policy in Catholic Educational Planning : An Investigation Presented in Partial Fulfilment of the Requirements for the Diploma in Education at Massey University".
- Mallard, Trevor (12 September 2003). "Final decision on Masterton schools announced - beehive.govt.nz". New Zealand Government. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Te Kete Ipurangi Ministry of Education website
- ERO school and early childhood education reports Education Review Office
- Decile change 2007 to 2008 for state & state integrated schools