Otago is a region in the South Island of New Zealand. It contains numerous rural primary schools, several small town primary and secondary schools, and some big city schools in Dunedin. In New Zealand schools, students begin formal education in Year 1 at the age of five. Year 13 is the final year of secondary education. Years 14 and 15 refer to adult education facilities. State schools are those fully funded by the government and at which no fees for tuition of domestic students (i.e. New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, and Australian citizens) can be charged, although a donation is commonly requested. A state integrated school is a former private school with a special character based on a religious or philosophical belief that has been integrated into the state system. State integrated schools charge "attendance dues" to cover the building and maintenance of school buildings, which are not owned by the government, but otherwise they like state schools cannot charge fees for tuition of domestic students but may request a donation. As Dunedin was founded by Presbyterian Scottish settlers there are a Presbyterian girls' and boys' school in the city. Private schools charge fees to its students for tuition, as do state and state integrated schools for tuition of international students. Unlike other major cities in New Zealand, Dunedin does not have any private intermediate or high schools. All remaining private intermediate and high schools have been integrated into the state system.
The socioeconomic decile indicates the socioeconomic status of the school's 'zone' (or catchment) area. A decile of 1 indicates the school draws from a poor area; a decile of 10 indicates the school draws from a well-off area. The decile ratings used here come from the Ministry of Education Te Kete Ipurangi website and from the decile change spreadsheet listed in the references. The deciles were last revised using information from the 2006 Census. The roll of each school changes frequently as students start school for the first time, move between schools, and graduate. The rolls given here are those provided by the Ministry of Education are based on figures from March 2021. The Ministry of Education institution number links to the Education Counts page for each school.
|East Otago High School||371||7–13||Coed||Palmerston||State||5||172|||
|Five Forks School||3738||1–8||Coed||Kakanui Valley||State||10||38|||
|Macraes Moonlight School||3764||1–8||Coed||Macraes Flat||State||7||25|||
|Oamaru North School||3785||1–6||Coed||Oamaru||State||4||88|||
|St Joseph's School||3825||1–8||Coed||Oamaru||State integrated||6||132||||Catholic|
|St Kevin's College||369||9–13||Coed||Oamaru||State integrated||7||434||||Catholic, Boarding|
|Waitaki Boys' High School||365||9–13||Boys||Oamaru||State||6||405||||Boarding|
|Waitaki Girls' High School||366||9–13||Girls||Oamaru||State||6||411||||Boarding|
|Waitaki Valley School||363||1–8||Coed||Kurow||State||10||104||-|
Central Otago District
|Cromwell Primary School||1–6||Coed||Cromwell||State||8||338||||3729|
|Dunstan High School||9–13||Coed||Alexandra||State||9||609||||372|
|Maniototo Area School||1–13||Coed||Ranfurly||State||7||146||||370|
|Millers Flat School||1–8||Coed||Millers Flat||State||7||25||||3771|
|Roxburgh Area School||1–13||Coed||Roxburgh||State||4||163||||375|
|St Gerard's School||1–8||Coed||Alexandra||State integrated||9||133||-||3823|
|St John's School||1–8||Coed||Ranfurly||State integrated||7||51||-||3824|
|The Terrace School||1–8||Coed||Alexandra||State||8||329||||3844|
|Hawea Flat School||1–6||Hāwea||State||247||||3747|
|Holy Family School||1–8||Wanaka||State integrated||202||||557||Catholic|
|KingsView School||1–8||Frankton||State integrated||71||||633|
|Makarora Primary School||1–8||Makarora||State||9||||3767|
|Mount Aspiring College||7–13||Wanaka||State||1151||||533|
|Queenstown Primary School||1–8||Queenstown||State||659||||4005|
|Remarkables Primary School||1–8||Frankton||State||568||||6783|
|Shotover Primary School||1–8||Shotover Country||State||525||||586|
|St Joseph's School||1–8||Queenstown||State integrated||139||||4016||Catholic|
|Te Kura o Take Kārara||1–6||Wanaka||State||153||||747||Opened January 2020|
|Wakatipu High School||9–13||Frankton||State||1121||||374|
|Wanaka Primary School||1–6||Wanaka||State||537||||1167|
Primary and intermediate schools
|Abbotsford School||3700||1–8||Green Island||State||286|||
|Amana Christian School||1641||1–8||Mosgiel||Private||16|||
|Andersons Bay School||3703||1–6||Andersons Bay||State||275|||
|Arthur Street School||3706||1–8||City Rise||State||177|||
|Bathgate Park School||647||1–8||South Dunedin||State||149|||
|Big Rock Primary School||607||1–8||Brighton||State||99|
|Broad Bay School||3718||1–8||Broad Bay||State||30|||
|Dunedin North Intermediate||3731||7–8||Dunedin North||State||297|||
|Dunedin Rudolf Steiner School||1192||1–8||Maia||State integrated||56|||
|East Taieri School||3733||1–6||Mosgiel||State||313|||
|George Street Normal School||3740||1–6||Dunedin North||State||425|||
|Grants Braes School||3742||1–6||Waverley||State||230|||
|Green Island School||3743||1–8||Green Island||State||171|||
|Halfway Bush School||3745||1–6||Halfway Bush||State||39|||
|Lee Stream School||3761||1–8||Lee Stream||State||26|||
|Liberton Christian School||4117||1–8||Pine Hill||State integrated||104|||
|Macandrew Bay School||3762||1–6||Macandrew Bay||State||147|
|Maori Hill School||3768||1–6||Maori Hill||State||229|||
|North East Valley Normal School||3783||1–6||North East Valley||State||212|||
|Pine Hill School||3801||1–6||Pine Hill||State||41|||
|Port Chalmers School||3803||1–8||Port Chalmers||State||110|||
|Purakanui School||3807||1–8||Port Chalmers||State||11|||
|Sacred Heart School||3815||1–6||North East Valley||State integrated||37|||
|Sawyers Bay School||3817||1–6||Sawyers Bay||State||115|
|Silverstream (South) Primary School||1657||1–6||Mosgiel||State||273|||
|St Bernadette's School||3819||1–6||Forbury||State integrated||152|||
|St Brigid's School||3820||1–6||Tainui||State integrated||68|||
|St Clair School||3835||1–6||Saint Clair||State||392|||
|St Francis Xavier School||3822||1–6||Mornington||State integrated||108|||
|St Joseph's Cathedral School||3827||1–6||City Rise||State integrated||138|||
|St Joseph's School, Port Chalmers||3828||1–8||Port Chalmers||State integrated||8||-|
|St Leonard's School||3829||1–6||Saint Leonards||State integrated||28|||
|St Mary's School (Dunedin)||3830||1–6||Wakari||State integrated||38|||
|St Mary's School (Mosgiel)||3832||1–8||Mosgiel||State integrated||128||-|
|St Peter Chanel School||3834||1–8||Green Island||State integrated||65|||
|Strath Taieri School||3837||1–8||Strath Taieri||State||46||-|
|Tahuna Normal Intermediate School||3839||7–8||Musselburgh||State||556|||
|TKKM o Otepoti||2351||1–8||Fairfield||State||38|||
Secondary and composite schools
|Bayfield High School||382||9–13||Coed||Musselburgh||State||1961||568|||
|Columba College||386||1–13||Coed/Girls||Roslyn||State integrated||1915||594||||Presbyterian, boarding. Coeducational years 1–6, girls only years 7–13.|
|John McGlashan College||387||7–13||Boys||Maori Hill||State integrated||1918||537||||Presbyterian, boarding|
|Kaikorai Valley College||381||7–13||Coed||Kaikorai||State||1958||532|||
|Kavanagh College||536||7–13||Coed||City Rise||State integrated||1989||632||||Catholic|
|King's High School||383||9–13||Boys||South Dunedin||State||1936||912|||
|Logan Park High School||376||9–13||Coed||Dunedin North||State||1975||784|||
|Otago Boys' High School||377||9–13||Boys||Dunedin||State||1863||814||||Boarding|
|Otago Girls' High School||378||9–13||Girls||Dunedin||State||1871||773|||
|Queen's High School||384||9–13||Girls||South Dunedin||State||1955||389|||
|Sara Cohen School||3816||–||Coed||Caversham||State||1926||49||||Special needs|
|St Hilda's Collegiate School||380||7–13||Girls||Dunedin||State integrated||1896||467||||Anglican, boarding|
- Brighton School, Brighton, merged with Ocean View School to form Big Rock Primary School, July 2008.
- Calton Hill School, Caversham School, and College Street School, merged on the Caversham site, with a satellite campus at the Calton Hill site, in January 2012 to form Carisbrook School.
- Corstorphine School, closed July 2010 due to declining roll numbers.
- Forbury School and Macandrew Intermediate merged on the Macandrew Intermediate site in January 2012 to form Bathgate Park School.
- High Street School (Dunedin), closed February 2011 due to declining roll numbers.
- King Edward Technical College, closed 1974 and replaced with Logan Park High School.
- Momona School, Henley School merged with Outram School in 2004.
- Moreau College, merged with St Paul's High School in 1989 to form Kavanagh College.
- Ocean View School, Ocean View, closed and merged with Brighton School to form Big Rock Primary School, July 2008.
- Rotary Park School, Waverley – state contributing primary, closed 2012.
- St Patrick's School, closed April 2011 due to declining roll numbers.
- Tomahawk School, closed April 2010 due to declining roll numbers.
- Waldronville School, closed April 2010 due to declining roll numbers.
- Te Kete Ipurangi Ministry of Education website
- ERO school and early childhood education reports Education Review Office
- Decile change 2007 to 2008 for state & state integrated schools
- "About School: School basics". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Archived from the original on 26 May 2008. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "School Donations & Fees". New Zealand Ministry of Education. 23 June 1998. Archived from the original on 14 July 2006. Retrieved 23 June 2006.
- "about NZ education". EduSearch. Archived from the original on 6 December 2007. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "How The Decile Is Calculated". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "Reviews of Deciles - General Information". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "New Zealand Schools Directory". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- Bruce, David (25 September 2010). "Otepopo School closes after 146 years". Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- "New School Establishment - 2018-go1251 - New Zealand Gazette". gazette.govt.nz.
- "School Closures, Mergers and New: December_2008" (XLS). Education Counts.
- Tolley, Anne (8 July 2011). "Decision on South Dunedin schooling". New Zealand Government. Retrieved 11 September 2011.
- "Merger of Henley School (3748), Momona School (3775) and Outram School (3795)". New Zealand Government. Retrieved 14 June 2016.