Nelson is a city and unitary authority in the South Island of New Zealand. It contains several city schools.
State schools are those fully funded by the government and at which no fees for tuition of domestic students (i.e. New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, and Australian citizens) can be charged, although a donation is commonly requested. A state integrated school is a former private school with a special character based on a religious or philosophical belief that has been integrated into the state system. State integrated schools charge "attendance dues" to cover the building and maintenance of school buildings, which are not owned by the government, but otherwise they like state schools cannot charge fees for tuition of domestic students but may request a donation. Private schools charge fees to its students for tuition, as do state and state integrated schools for tuition of international students.
The socioeconomic decile indicates the socioeconomic status of the school's catchment area. A decile of 1 indicates the school draws from a poor area; a decile of 10 indicates the school draws from a well-off area. The decile ratings used here come from the Ministry of Education Te Kete Ipurangi website and from the decile change spreadsheet listed in the references. The deciles of all schools were last revised using information from the 2006 Census, and may occasionally change for some schools between Censuses as schools open, close and merge. The roll of each school changes frequently as students start school for the first time, move between schools, and graduate. The rolls given here are those provided by the Ministry of Education are based on figures from March 2021. The Ministry of Education institution number links to the Education Counts page for each school.
- Te Kete Ipurangi Ministry of Education website
- ERO school and early childhood education reports Education Review Office
- Decile change 2007 to 2008 for state & state integrated schools
- "About School: School basics". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Archived from the original on 26 May 2008. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "School Donations & Fees". New Zealand Ministry of Education. 23 June 1998. Archived from the original on 14 July 2006. Retrieved 23 June 2006.
- "about NZ education". EduSearch. Archived from the original on 6 December 2007. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "How The Decile Is Calculated". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "Reviews of Deciles - General Information". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "New Zealand Schools Directory". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- Hoby, Katherine (4 October 2005). "Founders School Set to Close". The Nelson Mail. Retrieved 26 October 2009.
- Hartevelt, John (8 July 2009). "Minister defends funding". stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 26 October 2009.