The term "corps" can refer to a large-scale military formation consisting of two or more divisions, or a branch of service. During World War I there were five corps-level military formations raised as part of the Australian Army. Primarily infantry or mounted formations, the majority of these included British, New Zealand and Indian elements as well as Australian forces and were commanded by both British and Australian officers at various times throughout their existence. These formations served at Gallipoli, in Egypt, in the Sinai and Palestine campaign and on the Western Front. Not all of the corps existed at the same time, and several were disbanded over the course of the war, or reorganised to form others.
In addition, there were several military branches in the Army during this time that also bore the title of "corps", such as the Australian Flying Corps, the Australian Cycling Corps, the Australian Mining Corps, the Australian Camel Corps, and the Australian Machine Gun Corps.
|Designation||Date raised||Date disbanded||Campaigns||Notes|
|Australian and New Zealand Army Corps||1915||1916||Gallipoli|||
|I Anzac Corps||1916||1917||Western Front|||
|II Anzac Corps||1916||1917||Western Front|||
|Australian Corps||1917||1919||Western Front|||
|Desert Mounted Corps||1917||1919||Sinai and Palestine|||
- Dennis et al 1995, p. 183.
- Dennis et al 1995, pp. 70 & 71.
- Grey 2008, pp. 92–117.
- Dennis et al 1995, pp. 67–69.
- Austin 2008.
- Finlayson 2010, p. 1.
- Perry 2009, p. 185.
- "Australian Machine Gun Corps Memorial". Monuments Australia. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- Grey 2008, p. 92.
- Grey 2008, p. 100.
- Dennis et al 1995, p. 70.
- Grey 2008, p. 107.
- Dennis et al 1995, p. 71.
- Grey 2008, p. 117.
- Austin, Ronald (2008). Cycling to War: History of the First AIF/NZ Cyclist Corps 1916–19. McCrae, Victoria: Slouch Hat Publications. ISBN 9780975835340.
- Dennis, Peter; Grey, Jeffrey; Morris, Ewan; Prior, Robin (1995). The Oxford Companion to Australian Military History. Melbourne: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-553227-9.
- Finlayson, Damien (2010). Crumps and Camouflets: Australian Tunnelling Companies on the Western Front. Newport, New South Wales: Big Sky Publishing. ISBN 978-0980658255.
- Grey, Jeffrey (2008). A Military History of Australia (3rd ed.). Melbourne, Victoria: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-69791-0.
- Perry, Roland (2009). The Australian Light Horse. Sydney, New South Wales: Hachette Australia. ISBN 978-0-7336-2272-4.